Friday, September 12, 2014

Pictures of the Caledonia Yawl, Siri and a lot details for the tinkerers.

This is what Siri looks like today.  I bought her in the winter of 2013 in Boston from Henry Richards who built her in Bangladesh. She was launched there in 2008.  

There was some work to be done before she could be launched. 
The forward and aft bulkheads were both rotten at their bases so that was the thing to fix.  I just removed the rotten parts of the plywood and scabbed on some new ply with a generous amount of thickened WEST System epoxy.  Now they are rock solid and look nice.   The reason they rotted, I have discovered is because the hatch on the after deck leaks and the holes (for oars?)  that go into the forward compartment also leak.  The problem was that those compartments were holding the water and not letting it drain.  My plan is to make them water tight so that they work as buoyancy tanks.
The next issue was that the centerboard trunk was leaking.  CB trunks are a pain in the behind but the are fixable with patience.  I found that the hull to trunk joint was a bit rough on the inside, so I filled and fiberglassed the joint.  No leak now. Also, I filled and glassed some of the keel joints near the trunk that looked suspect.  In my experience, if it looks bad, it generally is.

The last issue was that the centerboard itself was made of ply and was ready to break so I replaced it with a 3/8" piece of aluminum that I had cut at a metal shop.  A bit expensive but I will not ever need to worry about it.  I like a CB that can hit rock or scrape the shallows and act like a depth sounder.

The mizzen mast had broken and was repaired with a rough scarf that is holding but has left the mast with a permanent bend to it.  I painted over the rough scarf and have almost forgotten about it.

So, one project before next year is to find some good watertight hatches for the fore and aft compartments.  This is valuable storage space that I hate to waste.

Another small project is to place a flat stainless bar to separate the to halyards  where they enter the mast on the aft side.  The peak halyard is always riding over the throat halyard and jamming.  A simple steel (round) bar should solve that issue.







A thrown together sun shade made for comfortable lounging on a hot day at anchor.




On her mooring in Kingsland Bay on Lake Champlain.

We soon discovered that the most comfortable seating was on the bottom of the boat.

2 comments:

  1. Hope you are still having fun with Siri. Seems a great boat for Lake Champlain.

    Henry

    ReplyDelete
  2. Henry
    I was looking for you because I am also from Belmont and habe a Caledonia Yawl.

    ReplyDelete